AdBlue consumption in motorhomes


Owners of recreational vehicles manufactured in recent years certainly know the inside out - apart from refueling, due to increasingly stringent standards, we are forced to supplement the level of the supplement from time to time - the so-called AdBlue has become a must in cars that meet the stringent EURO6 exhaust emission standard. What is it and what does its consumption depend on?

AdBlue is a proper name for a product composed of 32.5% urea solution, while the remaining 67.5% is demineralized water. To put it simply, AdBlue is produced as a result of a chemical reaction between ammonia and carbon dioxide. One kilogram of natural gas is also required to produce one liter of the agent. It is because of the cost of production and the price of gas that there has been a recent turbulence in the market - we wrote about it last year - AdBlue - are we in danger of a crisis? .

Thanks to the use of the agent together with SCR catalysts (Selective Catalytic Reduction) in cars that meet the aforementioned EURO6 standard, it is possible to reduce the emission of nitrogen oxides to the atmosphere by up to 90% in road traffic.

AdBlue - what should you remember?

AdBlue is corrosive and must be handled with care. When it comes to durability, this substance behaves like stabilized solutions - it lasts a year, and after that, the effectiveness weakens. This may, in extreme cases, lead to errors being displayed, and may also reduce the efficiency of exhaust gas cleaning.

- Most of the vans that are the basis for building motorhomes are equipped with tanks of 15-20 liters. The main difference compared to fuel tanks is that we do not have the possibility of ongoing, precise monitoring of the level of its filling. Basically, it is the computer that warns us about the end of the flow and informs us how many more kilometers can be covered.

- Try to fill up AdBlue at petrol stations - the agent filled from the dispenser is much cheaper per liter than the one offered in tanks of various sizes. Most motorhome vehicles are compatible with a standard bayonet tip that complies with the ISO22241 standard (in practice, in most places, we refuel where trucks are used).

How much should AdBlue consumption be?

AdBlue consumption in motorhomes – image 1

We will not discover America by saying that an unequivocal answer to this question cannot be given - it is like reading tea leaves. However, it is true that a lot depends on the engine, its power, load and driving style. From the reports of worried internauts, it can be read that an identical motorhome model, e.g. with a Fiat engine, may have symbolic wear, but it may be cosmically large and be a multiple of the nominal one. What is the "nominal" consumption? The model engine's appetite for AdBlue is determined at the level of 3-5% of fuel consumption (in theory, 3-5 liters of the agent per 100l of fuel).

Driving under heavy load (e.g. with a heavy trailer), uphill, at high speed, high revs - these are the main factors that can increase consumption even several times. Especially if we travel in circumstances requiring increased consumption of the agent, be sure to pay attention to the on-board computer messages. It is better to refuel earlier, thus preventing any potential problems. In conditions of increased "appetite", the indication of the expected remaining mileage may not be accurate, and the lack of AdBlue in the tank may mean that the vehicle cannot be started at the least appropriate moment.


Maciej Kinal
Maciej Kinal

I feel best in the form of trade fairs and meetings with enthusiasts. Technical freak. In my life I have dismantled many motorhomes for the first time. Fan of large vehicles, mountain biking and traveling without weight and financial restrictions. At CampRest, I am responsible for all publications on automotive topics.

Also read